Olympics and Back to School Dinner.




School started the day before the Olympics opened.  I am sad to say sadly we haven't had much time to watch many of the events since the kids are back and school and so have many of their activities. Harris is going camping this weekend with the Boy Scouts.  He organized the hike and trip as part of completing his eagle scout.  Hopefully, they will have decent weather as it has been threatening to rain all day.  The nice part is that it has seemed to have cooled off a little, so they won't be sweating to death in their tents or hammocks which many of the boys are using these days.  Winston has been sick with a cold for the past week, but plans to participate in a soccer tournament.  Not thrilled about the 90 minute drive each way, but I am grateful that Frank is home this weekend so that he can take him.  The girls and I are going to a dinner tonight to celebrate their swim season.  It should be fun to see everyone and the club has purchased a foam machine, so I am sure the children will have a blast. Roman is going tomorrow morning with the cub scouts to the park to play Frisbee. I have also been keeping busy by completely reorganizing our house.  What started off as a need to switch a couple of bedrooms around has turned into operation clean out.  Just alone today I was able to throw away three bags of trash and have two more to go to goodwill.  It is amazing how much stuff one can accumulate.  We moved into our house 5 years ago with three children added one more shortly thereafter and in the last 3 years have added two more through adoption.  Anyway, I am kind of digressing.  Back to the Olympics, what is your favorite sport to watch?  I love swimming since I was a swimmer, but also enjoy watching gymnastics and rowing.  We watched part of the Germany girls soccer game yesterday against Canada, but didn't get to finish watching the whole game.  Did you see the French gymnast who broke his leg?  It was horrible!  Poor guy!  What I love the most about the Olympics is the stories behind how the people there.  The other night I watched Boys of 36 on PBS it is the story behind the Olympic rowing win in 1936 in Berlin.  We know the son of the coxswain on that boat.  It really is a pretty fantastic story since they had everything going against them.  I used the Olympics this year as our back to school theme dinner.  I love encouraging my children that they can be anything they want to be and that the only thing that limits them is themselves.  The children thought it was fun to eat cupcake Olympic torches and pizza with the Olympic rings made on the top with pepperoni along with watermelon stars and blueberries.  Well, I better go!  I need to go pick up Avery from school and change my clothes for tonight.  I am still in my jammies  and it is almost two in the afternoon.  Have a great weekend!

Comments

Alexa T said…
So lovely smiles, joy, sweet treats and yummy pizza in the cute collage... love to watch the olympics events, despite the difference of the time between... I watch gymnastics, swimming, as well..
A very happy time! Greetings.
Jenn Jilks said…
I've been enjoying the olympics, too. No kids, only a gramma, I have liesure time!
I was a swimmer in high school, both competetive and synchro. It's has been so fun!

Popular Posts